Deakin students may be eligible for Financial Assistance when undertaking a rural placement and are encouraged to explore the below support options.
Students are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the various opportunities for financial support that are available to all Deakin students. The Division of Student life is the point-of-contact for students who might seek financial grants, emergency food and travel vouchers, and budget advice. For any students who might experience financial difficulties, interest-free student loans for study-related expenses might be available. The links related to these Deakin-wide options are available below:
The Schools within the Faculty of Health also provide complementary support for students who undertake rural clinical placements. This takes several forms and the support isn't necessarily limited to financial payments to students. Students should talk with their Placement Coordinator and other staff within their host school to determine what options are available as support for rural clinical placements.
Deakin Nursing & Allied Health students who successfully complete a rural clinical placement being four weeks or more in duration may qualify for a one-off $100 payment and, if residing in a Deakin-provided residence, also receive a $60 a week allowance (from the fifth week onwards) if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a Deakin student enrolled in a Deakin health science undergraduate or postgraduate degree other than Medicine;
- You are an Australian citizen;
- You reside in a Deakin provided residence for the duration of your placement;
- The rural clinical placement is in a town with a rural classification of RA 2-5 and is not your home town;
- The duration of the clinical placement is four weeks or more (not applicable if accommodation is free of charge).
- Register your placement details on the website.
- Complete the online evaluation within 30 days of you completing your placement. Students with registered placements are emailed a reminder to do this at the end of their clinical placement.
Please note: Funding is limited for 2017. The financial support program will close when the funds have been committed.
Financial assistance towards removal expenses for students on year-long rural clinical placements may be available. For further information please contact the relevant Rural Clinical School.